Fathering during and after divorce or separation – you’re not alone.
Why Join A Support Group?
There are many reasons for fathers experiencing divorce or separation to join a group. Some need support when things get tough; some feel isolated and need to connect with other fathers; some need information or new tools; and others simply need to share a laugh with like-minded dads.
The idea is for fathers to have a space where they can share experiences, challenges and information with other dads. It provides opportunities for brainstorming, problem-solving and developing effective ways of dealing with post-separation.
Do I have to attend all sessions?
While we welcome attendance at any session, we recommend that you attend as many sessions as possible to maximize support and build a solid foundation for your post-separation life. There will also be guest speakers and a Holiday Party!
As our space is limited, we do want you to RSVP by sending a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling our toll-free at 877-297-3312.
What is the format?
Each week, the group will be led by a facilitator, through a variety of topics. The facilitator has professional and personal experience with divorce, and is committed to supporting other fathers.
To accommodate diverse topics as those arise, we will not follow a strict curriculum. We will, however, attempt to cover the following discussions:
- Effects of divorce on children and adults
- Being a successful dad
- Coping with divorce or separation
- Having a quality relationship with children
- Making co-parenting work
- Ask a Lawyer: Legal Issues (guest speaker)
- Avoiding or de-escalating conflict
- Parenting Skills and Strategies
- Benefits of fathering to children
- When co-parenting is not successful
- Complications of re-partnering or new relationships
- Controlling emotions
- Taking the high road for the sake of the children
- Behaviours to avoid
- Coping with a new stepfather
- Ask a dad who’s been there: A dad’s 10-year legal battle (guest speaker)
- Behaviours that have been shown to create positive outcomes
- Communication and working as a team
- Working through the loss of marriage
- Talking to children about divorce or separation
- Ask a Divorce Financial Expert: Financial Issues (guest speaker)
- The benefits of divorce and formulating appropriate supports
- Creating an effective parenting plan
- How to handle holidays
- Managing conflict within the co-parenting relationship
- Holiday Party