A support group is not the same as group therapy. Group therapy is a formal treatment under the care of mental health practitioners.
Our Divorced Dads Group was motivated by the notable lack of supports for dads experiencing divorce or separation. Its premise is that dads are equally important in their children’s lives and, just like moms or anyone experiencing divorce, dads also need help navigating through all challenges that separation comes with.
This group also welcomes dads who have managed to successfully move past their divorce – sharing their experience may help guide others.
Each dad has different needs:
- Some dads need to share their experiences in a safe space
- Some dads need to know that they’re not alone during this tough time
- Some dads need more information about community resources
- Some dads need to learn of different options to deal with their divorce
- Some dads need to be heard and not judged
- Some dads need to bounce ideas around
- Some dads need to form positive relationships with other like-minded dads
- Some dads simply need to share a laughter with others who get what he’s going through
The reality is that, sometimes, we all need support. And, you’d be surprised at how much “strangers” may actually support you more than the people you know.